Wednesday, April 11, 2012

upgrade the np900x3b by hacking the SD slot

Having a computer that I can't upgrade is kind of a buzz kill IMO. As I'm currently roadblocked re: upgrading the RAM, I decided to see if I could upgrade something else in my Samsung Series 9 2012 13.3"

It perturbs me immensely when companies build a memory card slot that leaves part of the card sticking out. This coupled with the fact that SD cards are obsolete caused me to want to use the bay to add 64gB (or 128gB if you have the cash).

So...
To do this you need to do the following:

1. Hack a device that uses SD pinout but that is half the length
2. Open up the computer
3. Hack 1 into the SD slot

Here are photos from the operation. Without my soldering iron the closest I could get was a 32gB SD showing up (see photo of computer screen) - but when I get my tools back I will try out a microSD - > SD hacked adapter (also pictured)


















No comments:

Post a Comment